Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Day 2..🌏👩🏿‍🎨🖤

 

The second day had a lovely beginning. I met Sapna Teacher and discussed the lessons with her. I had a class with 8J during the first period. I spent so much time finding a movie scene that would portray casteism last night. Since the class didnt have a projecter, I had to manage with a laptop and a bluetooth speaker. I felt really happy as the learners watched the scene with so much curiosity and actively contributed to the discussion about it. A learner felt that it was wrong to pour hot tea into plastic glass, while a couple of learners identified the casteist undertone beneath it. Thus I could pull off a smooth introduction to Rosa Parks sat still. I showed a picture of George Floyd and narrated the event that led to his death. I could see empathy in the eyes of learners. I felt very contented that I was able to talk about these in the class and the learners showed the kind of response I had expected-concerned. The class went well as the students actively contributed to it. 

When asked about unfair rules, they shared how they felt about having to wear the coat in such hot days and how they hated wearing the ribbon over hair, the 6'o clock deadline or the 'exclusively girly' orders. I shared instances from my life when I felt that certain rules are unfair and the learners actively listened. I gave them an activity and a group presented the conversation between Rosa Parks and her friend.

I engaged 9C during the two periods after lunch break. The learners made posters about climate change and environmental issues. It was so good to see them actively participating in discussion and working on the poster. The second lesson that dealt with climate change is not hysteria, it's a fact was so full of new words and messages that learners asked doubts and responded well throughout the class. But I ended up using too many malayalam words in between the class while observing them and realized it only after the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adios.

It was the last day of Internship. I engaged 8C during the third period. I was feeling emotional. I had loved this class since the beginning...